CutBank reads general submissions for print issues from September 15 through February 1.
We accept submissions in poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction. Please read the submission guidelines for your selected genre closely.
If you are unfamiliar with CutBank, we strongly recommend that you read a few issues of the magazine before submitting. You can purchase a sample issue or the most recent issue at cutbankonline.org/shop or by selecting it from the list below.
CutBank Contests, including the Patricia Goedicke Prize for Poetry, Montana Prize for Fiction, and Montana Prize for Creative Nonfiction, are open November 1, 2015-January 15, 2016. There is a $20 reading fee for each prize, and one winner from each genre will be awarded $500. Again, please read submission guidelines closely.
The annual CutBank Chapbook Competition will be open January 1-March 31, 2016. Contest entry is $20 and one winner will be awarded $1000 and publication of the chapbook. Please read submission guidelines carefully.
Thank you for your interest in CutBank and for supporting the magazine. We look forward to reading your work!
CutBank Literary Magazine is seeking interesting, compelling fiction and nonfiction prose - in 750 words or fewer. Lyric essays, prose poems, short essays, vignettes - send us your best, most dazzling short form prose.
Big Sky, Small Prose will be judged by Chad Simpson, winner of the 2012 John Simmons Short Fiction Award. His short story collection, "Tell Everyone I Said Hi," was published by the University of Iowa Press in October 2012. His stories and essays have appeared in "McSweeney's," "The Sun," "Esquire," "Barrelhouse," "American Short Fiction," and many other print and online publications.
Contest Submission Guidelines:
- Submissions will be accepted through the Submittable submission manager. Print or email submissions will not be considered. Please include a brief cover letter, biography and contact information in the form provided - please do not include identifying information in the body of your submission.
- Submissions must be previously unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are certainly welcome; however, please withdraw your CutBank submission immediately via Submittable if it is accepted elsewhere.
- Submissions should be double spaced, no more than 750 words.
- Submission fee of $7 includes consideration for CutBank's $500 flash prose prize and publication in CutBank 86. Two runners-up will be awarded $50 and publication in CutBank 86. All other submissions will be considered with submissions for the print edition of CutBank Literary Magazine.
- We will accept submissions for Big Sky, Small Prose between August 10 and September 1, 2016.